Friday 9 May 2008

BoxerBears Vol7 (What a Doozer Mix)


Wow the sun is still shining and its Friday and wine and mexican food tonight and to top it off a mix for the weekend. Dont ya just love it!




1) Neds Atomic Dustbin - Kill Your TV 'Remix' (Neds were a fantastic band, and God Fodder is still a magnificent album from start to finish. This is the remixed version from the 0.522 compilation, that start of this song is fantastic building up into a crescendo, you cant help but pretend to hold a mike stand and shake your head. Fact - I had 2 glow in the dark Neds T-shirts!)
2) Wildhearts - Caffeine Bomb (I had to google to work out if they were still together or not as they seem to break up and reform more than any other band. At the moment they are together. Wildhearts are one of the great singles bands of the last 20 years, I cant think of a duff single they have released, even the newer material still has a killer hook. This was a lovely Sick green 7" vinyl single released in 1994, and goes at 100 miles an hour!)
3) Catherine Wheel - Thats when I reach for my Revolver ( I must have heard at least half a dozen versions of this song but this is my fav. A cover of the Mission of Burma track and it featured on the 20th Century Man EP released in 1992 which bridges the gap between first and second albums. Fact - I still have a signed Catherine Wheel Ferment T-shirt with now very faint signatures on the reverse, 15 years and counting not bad for a t-shirt!)
4) Inspiral Carpets - Sleep Well Tonight (One of the best non single tracks by IC. This featured on the Beast Inside album and has featured live in the recent reunion tours. Great mid tempo sing from the madchester legends)
5) Happy Mondays - Freaky Dancin 'Peel Session' - (A track that is now an unbelievable 22 years old! I have to say I didn't buy this originally as I was only 9 on its release. But is still a great tune and captures the ramshackle essence of the bands early live sound. Fact I was only a fingertip away from being the proud owner of one of Bez's maracas a couple of years ago, and is the closest I ever got to wanting to rugby tackle a girl!)
6) Swervedriver - Sandblasted (The song that tuned me into the band on the Evening Session. I bought Raise straight afterwards and wasnt disappointed. Took me years to get hold of it on CD and when I finally paid about 20 quid for it they went and re-released the back catalogue and best of shortly after! Apparently have reformed and are touring in America but no Uk live dates yet)
7)The Apples - Eye Wonder (I saw the Apples supporting the Mock Turtles in 1991 and was impressed, I have 2 or 3 of the singles all of which are great little pop tunes. They released an album on Sony before being dropped which I have never managed to get hold of, so if anyone knows of its whereabouts!)
8) My Jealous God - Pray (Um er I only ever had this single and the vid on an indie top 20 compilation. Despite the fact I know every word to this great single, I Know nothing of interest about them so if you like it go find out about them and let me know!)
9) AC Acoustics - Stunt Girl (My fav AC Acoustics track and a single from 1996. They are a Scottish band who have had numerous labels and are still releasing great music. I recently picked up the (O) album on E-bay. Saw AC Acoustics on a tour with Senseless Things and also as a headline at NAC, great band who I cant really pick a genre for)
10) Jesus Jones - Bring it on Down ( The 3rd single from the band and came from the 1989 Liquidizer album which I still have a very battered cassette of ! To me that album was the best they released and was the soundtrack of many a day and night. Reminds me of a mate of mine at school named Johnny Clover!)
11) Northside - Take 5 (If only Dermo could sing live and that NME hated them they could have been massive. I still listen to Chicken Rhythms regularly and I believe they still play the odd live show Ooop North. Fact - It will blow your mind blow it every time, cos......)
12) Superchunk - Throwing Things (Another band I have to thank Paul King for, having had this vid on one of my hand picked recorded off the tele 3 hour video mixes. American 'slacker' band very much contemporaries of Pavement released in 1992 and is a great off kilter track)
13) Wedding Present - Dalliance (I love the Wedding Present but have only ever seen them live once (Shame on me) I recently bought the 5 CD Peel Sessions box set and love it. This was taken from 1991's Seamonsters album which was a harder edged album that they had previously recorded. Due a new album next month, my lucky arsed brother has tickets to the tour later this month. Fact - I am jealous!)
14) Sonic Youth - Superstar (From a Carpenters tribute album from 93. Sonic Youth confuse me I have some of their albums and I love them others I cant listen to due to the lack of a tune or melody! Fact - Kool Thing on guitar hero is brilliant to play though!)
15) Fraggle Rock - The Theme Tune (Yeah yeah yeah cmon get them doozers)


http://rapidshare.com/files/113634716/Boxerbears7.zip

1 comment:

ricky said...

Hey Jimbop

This is Ricky from Madchester Rave On blog.Could you post that singles from The Apples ?
I'm looking for them very long time.

Thanks mate for your mixes.