Monday 28 April 2008

Boxerbears Vol3 (The Sun is Out Mix)


Happy Monday Peeps.

Here is Volume 3 of the hugely infuential (sic) Boxerbear Mixes. Hope u enjoy this one. Still havent purchased a record player that i can transform my old tunes from yet, but i am working on it! Plenty to keep you going in the meantime....


1. Revenge - Pineapple Face (Lead track from Peter Hook's first side project Revenge's first album -One True Passion, Can still hear its Hooky with the rumbling bass. The album was a mixed bag but this is a fine song)
2. The Railway Children - Music Stop (This track off the Music Stop 3 track EP was one of my most played cassettes ever. The Native Place album was a brilliant piece of work and how they never really stepped off the lower level touring rung is beyond me.)
3.Revolver - Heaven Sent an Angel (A track I wished I could play on guitar, swooping melody and fey voices ahoy. Another band who were in the "Shoegaze set" and again had so many ideas in their locker. Most of the stuff they released was excellent. Check out the albums and EP's on E-Bay, you wont be sorry)
4. Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equations - Hazy Lazy Hologram (Edit) ( A band that confused me a little alongside people like Levitation and Bark Psychosis as to if they were good or too indulgent. Dr Phibes were I suppose Space Rock, plenty of feedback and sonicness. The album was good but this was the standout. I think they only release one album which was a shame)
5. Moose - Uptown Invisible (The Sonny and Me mini album was one of the first CD's I ever bought alongside Inspiral Carpets- Life and ahem a Danny Wilson album. Band I never saw live which I regret. Released a number of albums and EP's which spanned lots of different styles such as Shoegaze, Slacker, Indie Pop, but generally excellent music. This is from the Honey Bee LP)
6.Unbeleivable Truth - Settle Down (Mostly known for having Thom Yorkes brother in the band, A fact that does not put me off despite my dislike for most things Radiohead! Another story another post!! But a different kettle of fish, great little acoustic rock number from the Oxford Band. )
7. Spirea X - Chlorine Dream ( A single from 1991, Spirea X were a band formed by Jim Beattie who was formally the guitarist in Primal Scream. Haven't managed to get hold of the album Fireblade Skies, but is on my list of must find on ebay, but the singles were excellent, this being the best.)
8. The Wonderstuff - Inertia (Ok so even my mum knows Dizzy and Size of a Cow but having revisited the best of recently I realised that many of my fav tracks weren't the Singles! This is from Never Loved Elvis and like most of the album is great. Saw them a couple of years ago when they reformed and Miles is still a great gobby frontman of a great band. The new LP's aren't too shabby either despite having had no publicity!!)
9. Into Paradise - Dreaming (bought the Chuchtown CD for 3.99 in about 1993 and loved it. Never saw they live don't have any other records by them but a wonderful record. This track was the reason I bought the CD as I had heard it on the Mark Goodyear Evening Session which along with Peel was my marker for new music in the days before Tinternet!)
10. Ride - The Model (Love Ride and wish they would reform. Had the pleasure of meeting Mark Gardener and Loz Colbert at one of Mark's Solo gigs a couple of years ago and was in awe. Lovely guys and signed a CD for me despite me spouting on about Nowhere being the Soundtrack of the 1st year of highschool in a drunken fanboy manner!! This is a cover of Kraftwerk off the Ruby Trax Comp album)
11. Midway Still - I Wont Try (Saw the "Fraggle" Rockers a couple of times once supporting MC4 and once Back to the Planet. Great band who entire output has recently been re-released as one double album in the last year, called appropriately "I Wont Try". I have not got that but have the two albums Dial Square and Lifes Too Long, so there!.)
12. Cosmic Rough Riders - Glastonbury Re-Visited (More recent than most bands on my comp but they kinda remind me of 1991 and thats in a nice way. The album Too Close to See Too far, is imo the best summer driving album ever, so if you haven't got it buy it! This alas is not from that (Boo Hiss) But is still great (Horray!) From the Deliverance album by the Scottish 4 piece)
13. Sugar - Tilted (Bob Mould's post Husker Du post Solo V1 band Sugar were superb. I saw them on the Copper Blue Tour at the UEA and they started with This Act We Act and I remember thinking that how one guitar could A)Be that damned loud and B)Make such a great noise. This is from the second Album Beaster, and needs to be played very loud!!!)
14. Happy Mondays - Staying Alive (12" mix) (Anyone who knows me will be amazed that Shaun Ryder hasn't appeared in the first 2 Boxerbear mixes knowing my devotion for the guy and his musical output. I succumbed and plumped for a cover version for something a little different. Happy Mondays can do no wrong in my eyes)
15. Carter USM - After The Watershed (To finish a little Carter to close on a crash, I would like to see them live in Brixton in December but alas my liking for them is not matched by many people I know these days, Enjoy!)

Footnote:
As ever if any musicians or labels dont wish me to include thier music please drop me a line and i will remove it straight away. I mean no harm or to make any money, and just see it as promoting bands that i love to others, and whose music maybe hard to get hold of.


http://rapidshare.com/files/111015963/Boxerbearsvol3.zip.html

No comments: