Wednesday 23 April 2008

Its Here!!!!! Boxerbear Vol1 (The First 15)


My first proper compilation! Enjoy

Please let me know if you like it or have any suggestions. Here is whats on it......


1. Kingmaker - When Lucys Down ( My signed Kingmaker Eat yourself whole t-shirt got worn more than virtually any other piece of clothing in my teens, this is off the second ep they released called Waterproof. Surprisingly no best of has ever been put together!)
2. The Lemon Trees - Love is in your Eyes (Dont know much but... ex World party Member makes good pop song shocker!)
3. The Bridewell Taxi's - Face in the Crowd (The better half of a double A Side from recentely reformed Leeds popsters the other half was a cover of Dont Fear the Reaper.)
4. Ultra Vivid Scene - Special One (Is currentely on my list of favourite 20 songs ever, its that good)
5.Flowered Up - Flapping (B-Side to the wonderous Phobia, IMO everything they have ever done is brilliant including B-Sides and Remixes)
6. The Redskins - Keep on Keeping On (A step back to the 1980's and a song i found on a John Peel compilation tape many moons ago. Facts - They were mods and from york and split up in 1986)
7. Pale Saints - Throwing Back the Apple (Great tune from a band that bordered (and possibly laboured) under the 4AD/Shoegaze tags, this is from the career best In Ribbons album)
8. Velvet Crush - Drive Me Down (A song which is as good in acoustic form as it is electric, 1992 single release on creation released many albums in 90's and are quite hard to come by.)
9. Moonshake - Beautiful Pigeon (Another song from a band i saw in my teens, seemed beautiful in Norwich Arts Centre circa 1992)
10. Lush - Sweetness in Light (How were Lush not massive? Check out Spooky or Caio the Best of for proof)
11. Fat Lady Sings - Arclight (Irish gem of a pop song released in 89 and again in 91, From Dublin the album Twist was a regular on my walkman!)
12. Ruthless Rap Assassins - Less Mellow (Kermit from Black Grapes old group this is the only single i have by them and have struggled to get hold of much that they did . Shame as its a brilliant tune)
13. Skee Lo - I Wish (No idea about this fella only hit he had but i remember it being on every compilation tape i had for about 2 years running, great tune)
14. My Bloody Valentine - You Made me Realise - (Great song great band if you dont know about them "shame on you")
15. Stare -Stare (From the Stare EP A Norwich based band who i saw 2 or three times as a young pup in Norwich most noatably around the time of Radio 1's Norwich Sound City 92, who released 3 singles before splitting. All three excellent the other two, Mood and Work may feature on future comps)

Download -
http://rapidshare.com/files/109744776/boxerbear1.zip

2 comments:

veggie said...

hi there Jimbop.

You certainly have an eclectic taste in music, i shall have to listen to your choices when I get a bit more time.
I agree with your comments about Lush - did they ever make a second album?

Your choices of music seem to mainly be from the 90's - I am a bit older myself and my tastes go back to the 70's. When I have mastered the technology, I shall put a few of my choices on the site.

Will you regularly be posting obscure musical gems up here? Until then, I shall raise a glass to the memory of Rhana.

veggie

Adán Ramírez said...

Thanks...beautiful music.. Im UK music, baggy and britpop fan =)... Flowered Up... YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH... saludos desde México.