Thursday 12 June 2008

Boxerbears Vol 12 (Mr Bronson Mix)


I was at a loss as to what to call this mix but having seen a 3" figure of Michael Sheards Star Wars character in the shop yesterday i decided to make it a tribute to the late actor and his brilliant Grange Hill role. YOU BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Edwyn Collins - Keep on Burning (I thought I would kick off with a track from the brilliant Mr Collins. I watched a documentary on him the other week about his recover from his brain tumour and getting back to performing and it was awe inspiring if you missed it see if its repeated or download it as its a brilliant hours viewing.)
2) Ride - Chelsea Girl (The first Ride track I ever heard which was on a compilation given to me by a well informed class mate aged 13. I re-iterate my desire for Ride to re-unite as they are one of the most underrated bands of the last 25 years. This track was the lead track from their first EP released in Jan 1990)
3) Senseless Things - Everybody's Gone (This song just reminds me of cold wet nights standing around tiny venues pretending I was old enough to drink. Arguably my fav Senseless Things track it was the lead single from the 1991 major label debut 'First of Too Many' which is definitely the best album they released)
4) Ash - Jack Names the Planets ( Ash are one of the best Singles bands around everyone is a corker. I first saw them around the time this was released as a young rough and ready 3 piece supporting Elastica way back when and although I liked them I had no inclination they would go on to be such a powerhouse band. Have seen them four or five times over the years and its about time I saw them again me thinks)
5) Me Me Me - Hanging Around (A great little one off single from Alex James and Stephen Duffy, recently read Alex's autobiography its a good read that when you have finished you really feel you should dislike him but cant help but feel you would like to be his mate!)
6) Wedding Present - Brassneck (An indie classic and featured on that same compilation tape as Ride's Chelsea Girl. Released in 89 and still played in their live set today)
7) Airhead - Take My Train (B-side to Counting sheep, I had forgotten how strong all three track were on that single until I downloaded the MP3 rips the other day. A waste being just a b-side, does anyone know if any of Airhead made music after they split? )
8) Kinky Machine - Supernatural Giver ( I am sure I know lots of interesting facts about Kinky machine and have virtually everything they released but I just cant thing of anything! I am sure they will re-appear on a BB comp soon so in the meantime enjoy this debut single)
9) Pavement - Range Life (I only ever really had a passing interest in American grunge/slacker bands in my formative years and this single was the second time I came across Pavement and have slowly added a lot of their back catalogue to my collection including a couple of brilliantly put together special editions of the early albums. This is a 1994 single)
10) IF? - Saturdays Angel (I saw If on a tour with some other bands that the press were trying to clump together, maybe Natural Life and Slipstream??? If? were the strongest by far and this track was one of the singles from the excellent English Boys on the Love Ranch LP which I may post on here at some point due to its hard to come by nature!!)
11) Elastica - Waking Up (Thought I would include a track having thought of them via the Ash memory. Good band bad second album)
12) Jesus Jones - Zero's and Ones ( I am very exited having just bought tickets to see Jesus Jones support the Wonderstuff in the autumn, and I will no doubt witter on about it in weeks and months to come. A single from the bands third album but still keeping up the high standards!)
13) The Breeders - Cannonball acoustic (I have no idea where I downloaded this from or where it was recorded all I know is it was 1993 its a great song and a great version. New album Mountain Battles is a fine piece of work if you haven't checked it out already.)
14) Sonic Youth - Youth against Fascism (Arghh Sonic Youth the band whose back catalogue could not be more varied, imo they have about a four CD boxset of fantastic material and a 10 cd boxset of barely listenable sonic experimental nonsense. This is the former from the Dirty LP)
15) Blow Monkeys - Doesn't Have to be that Way ( They have reformed Hurray! Do you know any other tracks bar this one though...Um er maybe not. Great 80's pop single from Dr Roberts band)



1 comment:

G Magill said...

Ha - Bronson was the man - Grange Hill it was good back then wasn't it...