Thursday 26 June 2008

Boxerbears Vol 14 (The Quiff Mix)

This is probably the most random least thought about selection of songs yet for a BB Mix but I kinda like it cos you don't know what's coming next. It also seems to feature an above average number of quiff haired artists hence the title of the mix! Some are quite epic tracks some are short sharp tunes its just music I like. Hope you do too!


1) Chapterhouse - Breather (Whirlpool was one of my fav albums in my teens and still holds up this track was one of the many highlights and amazingly was never a single)
2) Belltower - Flight ( Americas try at shoegaze wasnt half bad this track from 1992 is a great tune. They only released one album Popdropper which was also pretty good)
3) Mercury Rev - Car Wash Hair (Mercury Rev have been going nearly 20 years and their recorded output is of an astonishing quality, this is one of the early singles from the album Yerself is Steam in 1991, and is a fuzzy pop dream of a song)
4) A Certain Ratio - Shack Up (Manchester but not as we know it. This 91 track was ACR's nod towards the Madchester sound and they do it pretty well, Quite different to their 80's material though)
5) Natural Life - Natural Life (Mentioned in a previous mix so I revisited this track, I still like it but it does sound a little dated now. I actually saw them twice, and how many people can say that I wonder, once with If and Airstream and once supporting The Farm)
6) Happy Mondays - Rave On ( I know I know, how many times has SWR appeared on these mixes! I just cant help it. Really I cant, its like a drug)
7) Sebadoh - The Freed Pig (Lou Barlows post and now pre? Dinosaur Jr band saw him make some critically acclaimed but not commercially successful albums. This was the lead single from 1991's Sebadoh III album. Nice piece of slacker/art rock)
8) Morrissey - Suedehead ( I am seeing Moz, if he doesn't cancel on me again next week in Hyde Park on what is a really strong line-up, so in anticipation I have been playing him a lot, hence is inclusion. This is one of his finest.)
9) Longpigs - She Said ( A tune that I listened to loads at Uni having seen then play in the Students Union, Richard Hawley was lead axeman and so that indicates that they were a pretty good band)
10) Sisters of Mercy - More (Goth Alert! This SOM track appeared on Boxsetgos mix last week and as a co-incidence I had it lined up for my next mix. After deliberation its stays as its a great track and one that should feature..... More, Geddit! sigh)
11) Gallon Drunk - Some Fools Mess (A band that have gone on for years since their inception in the early 90's on Clawfist records. As was said about Mark Lammar there are "Nifty Fifties throwbacks". Recently bought the best of, in my opinion they are best in small doses like this as the whole album was a challenging listen!)
12) Adorable - Kangaroo Court (Seem to be more popular now than they were when they were together. Compare the first album with the Verves and imo there is nothing in it quality wise and arguably Adorable snatch it with Sunshine Smile. This was a single on creation in 94 and from the second album Fake which I have just realised I don't have a copy of. Wheres that ebay link....)
13) Heart Throbs - I Wonder Why (Ethereal sounds from the twin fronted band, I have a real soft spot for the Heart Throbs and think they made some great music. This was from the debut album Cleopatras Grip released in 1990 Fact- This album was produced by the mercurial Martin Hamnett of New Order/Mondays fame)
14) Swervedriver - Sci Flyer (They are reforming and playing in London later this year hooray!! Its when? September 16th oh **^££^**!!*& that will be when im on holiday then...)
15) They Might Be Giants - Ana- Ag (Ok not as random as usual track 15's but a nice little bubblegum pop song. Bought the anthology recently and there is some great little tracks on there. This is 20 years old would you believe from 1988's Lincoln LP)

http://rapidshare.com/files/125157970/Boxerbears14.zip

No comments: