Monday 23 June 2008

Boxerbears Vol13 - The 3 is a Magic Number Mix


3 x 5 is 15 So I have 3 sets of 5 songs on this weeks mix. Kicking off with 5x Manchester acts moving to 5x Shoegazer linked bands and finishing with 5x unashamedly great alternative pop songs!

1) The Charlatans - Jesus Hairdo (Won tickets to see the Charlatans at 02 Indigo last week for an ITV2 gig in a very nice shiny new venue. They rocked as per normal and played most of the new album and 4 or 5 oldies. This led me to having a Charlatans weekend at home and this song was my chosen song to include)
2) New Fads - Life is an Accident (At which point they had ditched the Daffodils part and were just New Fads. This is possibly my fav song of theirs from around 1994)
3) Inspiral Carpets feat M E Smith - I Want You (Brilliant 3 mins of music from 2 Manchester legends, the TOTP appearance was really funny)
4) Intastella - People ( Intastella never really seemed to tour down south so I never got a chance to see them live. This was one of their first ever singles. Does anyone who if Stella went on to be in any other bands??)
5) The Fall - LA (The Smith fella makes his second appearance, I have developed a bit of a Fall crush in the past 3 or 4 years and have started to collect up their back catalogue this track was taken from 1985's This Nations Saving Grace, many peoples fav LP. Its not mine the Infotainment Scam is!)
6) House of Love - Destroy the Heart (Did anyone see or buy last years House of Love LP??? I was keen to hear it but never saw it around I must search ebay. Anyways this was them at their best and appeared in the festive fifty in 1991)
7) Ride - Sennen ( I cant say much more about one of my fav bands really burt can add that there is a rather excellent Ride influenced band named Sennen from the fair county of Norfolk that have released two excellent albums check them out if you like Newgaze!!)
8) Sweet Jesus - Phonefreak Honey ( Saw Sweet Jesus supporting someone or other in 91 and thought they were a bit crap. Picked up the single for 99p a while after and actually thought it was quite good! The follow up real babe wasn't to shoddy either)
9) Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic (Isn't it time for a Catherine Wheel anthology? Yeah they went a little Bush at the end but still released some great music this 1992 single being one of the best examples of that. I have every 12" from the first 2 albums and all tracks are brilliant)
10) Teenage Fanclub - Star Sign (The Fannies are one of those bands like Super Furry Animals that have consistently produced great singles and albums but yet have remained at the same mid size venue lower rung of the chart position? How be that with songs like this?)
11) Chumbawamba - Timebomb (I stand by the Anarchy album as being unashamedly alternative Pop brilliance saw them at Leeds T&C in 96 for what was a hometown gig following the whole Tubthumping thing and it was a wild celebration and singalong. Great night)
12) 25th of May - Its Alright (Scouse rap rock outfit if I remember rightly. Only have this and What's Goin on but both are good little singles. If any has posted their album let me know!)
13) Pele - Fat Black Heart ( Scouse theme continued here with Pele and a track which was the lead on the hard to get second album. I had the 10" version of this but never got the second LP)
14) Billy Bragg - Sexuality (Billy Bragg is someone I admire greatly and is widely underappreciatted in music. This is probably his most pop song (Boy done good maybe close??) from the great 91 album Don't Try this at Home)
15) Belly - Feed the Tree (This track was a popular cover by college bands while I was doing my A-Levels and holds an almost seminal place in my heart because of the amount of time I have heard rubbish covers of it!)


For all of you random track 15 lovers it will be back soon with some corkers!!

http://rapidshare.com/files/124424430/Boxerbears13.zip

1 comment:

bubu said...

Hi

I have post the album of 25th of may on my Blog

Let's have a look

Bubu